Thursday 28 October 2010

Large shoes, over-sized suit, revolving bow tie and a car with loose doors!!

Dear Reader - today had a large element of irony about it.

All started well with Bamburgh at sunrise.  I'm no Malloy, or Pears, or Goulding or any of the other birding David Bailleys, but one can but try.


Straight into a Black-throated Diver (S) and hopes of a good morning; best summed up as routine, with Eiders, Shags, Common Scoters and Red-throated Divers on the sea, and Oystercatcher, Turnstone and Purple Sandpiper on the shore.  Gulls of many denominations were all over.

And so checking BirdGuides on my Blackberry showed the Pectoral Sandpiper back/still at Newton on the scrape.  So into my crazy car and off south via Seahouses and Monks' House Pool in the hope of a white-winged gull.  Alas, this was not to be.

And after parking on the double-yellows, it was a quick look-see.  Redshank and Curlew abounded, as well as Lapwing and then voila, the Pec. Sand.  What a little belter.

The irony?  Given my birding 'style' of often using t'interweb to follow birds spotted by others (not 100% of the time as I love sea watching) and adding them to a year list, and my 'style' being likened to that of a clown, to be directed by technology to tick a bird on the patch of the Coulraphobic himself was somewhat bizzarre.

I hope he hasn't taken offence at my invasion, albeit a wee one, nor this post, as one day we may meet (given we appear to live only a few miles apart) and hopefully have a grin at this nonsense!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you didn't already have Pec Sand, with the amount that Newton has pulled in this year. Well I think that's me out of the race now. I'm just going to relax next week with Azure-winged Magpie, Bluethroat, Hoopoe, Great and Little Bustard and hopefully fluke a Spanish Imperial Eagle.

    ReplyDelete