Sunday 9 September 2012

Eastern Algarve Birding - 30/8 to 6/9 - Part 3

OK, so more of the same today in terms of habitat, but off to Olhao (pronounced Oo-lee-ow) to the reserve there.  Last there in 2008, I recalled a good day, but what would 1 September 2012 produce?  To be honest, not a lot.  Fly-bies from Hoopoe, Little Egret, and LBB and YLGs, a burst of Cetti's, the predictable yet impressive waders and a new sound, like a retarded, old style, refs whistle.  But could we see what was making it?  Not at all, until the sound was louder, and in multiples, and then eight of these:
The best I could do, I'm afraid.  If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to hire a birding equivalent of those poor serfs who hand loaded shotguns to the landed gentry so they can shoot more game birds more quickly.  I can simply say, 'Scope' or 'Bins' or 'Camera' and not have to have arms like Vishnu in order to co-ordinate (or not, as the case may be) the kit.

Western Orphean Warblers also ticked, and later from the front balcony, Swift and Greenfinch.



No comments:

Post a Comment