Saturday 26 January 2013

Snow Flurry

Off to spread my seed (ooo errr, Missus!) this afternoon around West Hartford.  My philanthropy, or whatever the bird equivalent of that word is, was justly rewarded.

In what was a cold, white and ornithologically barren landscape, two Greylags over south on the front nine was a nice start, and on the back nine, a Woodcock north over the sub-station.

Then a text from Mr Sometimes to say he had a Willow Tit along the east edge of Bassington Nature and five minutes or so later, bingo!

Then a text from Mr Crammy to say he had Brambling in his garden but when I got there it had moved into the school field.  Knowing that trespass is a civil matter, and being the decent chap that I am, I paid a visit and was duly 'challenged' by the caretaker and his faithful companion.  A bit of general bird chat, a few handfuls of seed thrown on the ground and a boring monologue about the difference between a Chaffinch and a Brambling convinced him I was neither mad (?) nor of malicious intent and he left me be.  Two minutes later, a male Brambling in the willows.  Superb!

No comments:

Post a Comment